Sunday, December 8, 2013

Special Friends

Well hello everyone I hope your weeks were better than the thought of a Volbeat concert performed by people dressed up in costumes made of marshmallows.


Well it is officially "spit goes klink" cold where I live. Last night we had a wind chill factor of -10 degrees Fahrenheit which is officially frigid enough that I could be persuaded to wear multiple ugly Christmas sweaters.

Speaking of Christmas, if you are still looking for a gift for that special, or even the not-so-special, person, "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" is there to delight anyone on your list. Also, half of the proceeds from my sales this month will be going to benefit the YWCA in their efforts to support domestic violence victims, the homeless and other marginalized populations!



This week "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" was reviewed by staff writer Tania Staley for Readers' Favorite: 

"Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus is a laugh-out-loud trip through the often hilarious and surreal life of Allison Hawn. Author Allison Hawn has a way of constantly getting herself into awkward, odd, and downright ridiculous situations her entire life. This collection of short memoirs will have readers wondering if there is a cosmic force driving Hawn’s life into hilarity. Readers will be privy to the everyday adventures of her life — school, dating, concerts, and work — that somehow always seem to take a turn for the weird. 

With a quick wit and biting sarcasm, Allison Hawn tells some of her more amusing anecdotes from her life, which includes surviving mosh pits, pet sitting twenty-pound cats, contracting unknown illnesses, and much more. These stories will remind readers to take life a little less seriously and enjoy the excitement and weirdness that come with everyday life." 

That was only about half of what Tania had to say. If you want to read the full review you can do so here.   



Well it certainly has been an interesting week in the world of social work. And by "interesting" I mean only on occasion can one be graced by the sight of an only partially-clothed woman, streaking past the conference room you're sitting in, screaming, "Saran wrap is the devil's plaything!"

It's always good to know what Satan is using these days.

That same day I also had a gentleman wander into the temporary office I had set up at another agency.

There was no, "Good morning," or, "Hi, my name is."

Instead the first words out of his mouth were, "I'm supposed to be on 18 different medications."


  

I blew out a little bit of a sigh and said, "So, I'm guessing, by your use of the word 'supposed,' that you are not currently on your medications."

He nodded fervently. "What exactly do these medications do for you?"

He shrugged, "Mostly they just tell my special friends to shut-up."

Oh goody, who couldn't use a set of "special friends?" I just smirked and asked, "What do these 'special friends' tell you?"

"Oh, you know, they mostly warn me when someone's going to stab me with a thermometer. You get people jobs, can you get me a job?"

Internally this is what I did:


Externally, I just put on my "so sorry" expression and said, "No, most employers can't hire multiple people at once, and if your 'special friends' come along they probably won't be able to pay you all."

I have to say, "special friends" who warn you when someone's going to stab you with a thermometer could be handy, particularly if you were a turkey. 

Anyways, I hope everyone has a splendid week!

Remember, if you wish to follow my exploits you can find me on FacebookTwitterGoodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment