Friday, September 12, 2014

What a Release...

Hello all! I hope your weeks were more fantastic than the thought of rainbow dyed badgers learning to dance the Running Man!

Life is a Pirate Ship Run by a Velociraptor has been out for nearly a week!!! And so far I'm hearing some pretty rad things about it from readers! Of course, you don't have to take my word for it, you can take a see for yourself!

I have a quick round of thank you's to go through.

First off, thank you to Sweatshoppe Publications and editor Craig Hart for not putting both Life is a Pirate Ship Run by a Velociraptor and Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus in the dreaded slush pile, but picking both for publication!

There is a hearty raised pint of ale thank you also to artist Anthony Carpenter and cover designer Paul Brand for their excellent job on the cover!

Thank you to Charissa Dufour, Shayna Shute and CarolBeth Hawn who all helped with the initial editing before the book went to my publisher!

Also to all of my friends and family who have offered their support of my writing, thank you! And finally, a huge thank you to my readers, without your interest neither of my books would exist.

To be my absolute cheesiest: 


So the number one thing I have been asked is, "Are you excited about your book being out!?"

What people don't realize is the that when they ask that question they are touching on the very tip of a complex iceberg of emotions.

The short answer is, "Of course I'm excited that over a year's worth of work has resulted in my publisher not laughing me out of his office and actually putting my words into print!"

The much less short answer is this:

Yes, I'm excited... and anxiety ridden, happy to have the book out, terrified of what release week looks like, bouncing off the walls with energy, worried I didn't do enough preparation/publicity/take enough Prozac, trying to stay motivated enough to continue publicizing, desperately trying to keep myself from sitting and clicking the "refresh" button to see if my Amazon rankings have changed...

Release day for an author is exuberant joy, extreme trepidation and every major emotion in between rolled into one. I have been a public speaker, sung jazz, performed stand-up comedy; but by far the most terrifying thing I have faced is both of my books' release days.


So, yes, every author is excited for their book to come out, but there is a reason we often look like we tried to style our hair with a blender and have yet to discover that our shirt is backwards and inside out on release day.

It is totally worth it though, particularly when I hear such wonderful things from readers! So, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my books! It means the world to me, and I will thank as many of you as I can in person when I eventually get my hair untangled from my blender.

As always, come find me on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment